Married: (Nicola Jane Goward) 1978; 2 daughters
Home Address: Crockshard Farmhouse, Crockshard Hill, Wingham, Canterbury, Kent, CT3 1NY (tel. 0227-720464)
Office Address: Eliot College, The University, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NS (tel. 0227-66822 extn 3421)
1969 University of Leiden, The Netherlands
1973 Ph.D. Social Anthropology, London School of Economics and political Science
1973-80 Lecturer in Social Anthropology, University of Kent at Canterbury;
1980-6 Senior Lecturer;
1988- Professor of Anthropology and Human Ecology
1976 (2 months): southeast Sulawesi
1981, 1986 (7 months): Gorom and Seram Laut archipelagoes, Moluccas, eastern Indonesia.
1991-4 (2 months): Brunei
(1) 1978 Nuaulu settlement and ecology. The environmental relationsof an eastern Indonesian community Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- enVolkenkunde No.83 Martinus Nijhoff The Hague
(2) 1979 Social and ecological systems (edited with P. H. Burnham) Association of Social Anthropologists Monograph No.18. London: Academic Press.
(3 1979 Classifications in their social context (edited with D. Reason) London: Academic Press
(4) 1982 Environment, subsistence and system: the ecology of small-scale social formations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
(5) 1984 Ethnographic research: a guide to general conduct (editor) Association of Social Anthropologists Research Methods Series No.1. London: Academic Press.
(6) 1988 Malinowski between two worlds: the Polish roots of an anthropological tradition (with E. Gellner, G. Kubica and J. Mucha) Cambridge : Cambridge University Press
(7) 1993 The cultural relations of classification: an analysis of Nuaulu animal categories from central Seram Cambridge : Cambridge University Press
(8) 1993 Nuaulu ethnozoology: a systematic inventory (CSAC Monographs 6) Canterbury: Centre for Computing and Social Anthropology and Centre for Southeast Asian Studies
(9) 1993 Understanding witchcraft and sorcery in Southeast Asia (edited with C. W. Watson) Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press
(10) 1996 Redefining nature: ecology, culture and domestication (ed. with K. Fukui) Oxford: Berg
Selected papers published since 1985
1985 Patterns of indigenous timber extraction from Moluccan rain forest fringes. Journal of Biogeography 12, 559-587.
1986 What Black Elk left unsaid: on the illusory images of Green primitivism. Anthropology Today 2 (6, December), 8-12.
1986 Ecology. The Social Science Encyclopaedia, Adam and Jessica Kuper (eds.) London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
1987 Environmental perturbation, inter-island trade and the re-location of production along the Banda arc; or, why central places remain central. Human ecology of health and survival in Asia and the South Pacific, Tsuguyoshi Suzuki and Ryutaro Ohtsuka (eds.). Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press.
1993 Rhetoric, practice and incentive in the face of the changing times: a case study in Nuaulu attitudes to conservation and deforestation. Environmentalism: the view from anthropology, Kay Milton (ed.) London: Routledge.
1993 Human impact on the environment of Seram. In Natural history of Seram, Maluku, Indonesia. (eds.) Edwards, I. D., A. A. Macdonald and J. Procter. Andover: Intercept.
1994 Modes of subsistence: hunting and gathering to agriculture and pastoralism. In Companion encyclopaedia of anthropology: humanity, culture anmd social life. (ed.) Ingold, T. London: Routledge.
1994 Urbs in rure: cultural transformations of the rainforest in modern Brunei (with J. H. Bernstein). Anthropology Today 10 (4), 16-9.
1994 Rates of change: weasel words and the indispensable in anthropological
analysis. In When history accelerates: essays on rapid social
change, complexity and creativity.
(ed.) C. M. Hann. London: Athlone.
For further reading:
Food from Indonesian Forests
Rhetoric, practice and incentive in the face of changing times